Saturday, May 6, 2023

Caution Runners, Speed Bumps Ahead


“Caution runners, speed bumps ahead.”  


If you’ve ever run, walked, run/walked, wheeled, or otherwise participated in a runDisney race, then you probably read the sentence above in the all too familiar and repetitive tone we have grown to love. This seemingly straightforward statement defines not only the physical parameters of what we are about to encounter on a race course but for me this past January, it also metaphorically foreshadowed a set of hurdles that I was about to bump into… and thankfully overcome.  

For those who don’t know, I attempted my first Dopey Challenge (5k, 10k, ½ marathon, full marathon= 48.6 miles) in Disney World this past January. During my training, I started to feel some discomfort in my heels and ankles but it was tolerable and I just chalked it up to all the additional miles I was running.  Once in Disney for marathon weekend, the 5k went wonderfully and just as planned but unfortunately, I ended up running the 10k at a much faster pace than I had trained for.  My friends and I got bumped toward the very back of the last corral as runners were moving toward the start line and thanks to my tiny bladder, I had to basically sprint for a couple of miles in order to gain distance over the dreaded (but incredibly sweet!) Balloon Ladies and have time to stop at a bathroom without getting swept. 


           

That sprinting did me in.  My heels and ankles were absolutely screaming at me as I walked with my husband through Hollywood studios later that day and I truly started to worry about my prospects at finishing the half and full marathons still to come. The next morning, I only made it to mile 3 of the half marathon before my feet started rebelling. I managed to finish the race, because I’m tenacious like that but I could hardly even walk anymore by the time I crossed the finish line, less than 3 minutes before the Balloon Ladies. At that point, I knew I wouldn’t be able to run 26.2 the next day and my Dopey 2023 journey was over.  

            

I was gutted.  In addition to spending close to a year training, I had also raised a large amount of money for Kellsie’s Hope Foundation to support children with cancer,  just as I had for many Disney races before.  But this one was different.  In the past year or so, far too many friends and loved ones in my life have been diagnosed with cancer… and not all of them survived.  This race weekend was special.  This time, I was running for them.  I had reserved the full marathon to dedicate to my uncle who was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in June, and passed away just three weeks after the races.  I know in my heart that I didn’t actually let him down by not finishing the challenge, but it still felt like a failure at the time.


Fast forward to now, four months later.  I’ve been diagnosed with plantar fasciosis and Baxter’s nerve entrapment in both feet.  Without surgery it will never fully go away, but it can be treated to a point where I can run at least mostly comfortably again.  After multiple orthopedic appointments, countless PT sessions, 5 sessions of dry needling in my calf (yikes!), daily stretching and exercises, wearing custom insoles at all times, and an insanely painful set of cortisone shots given directly into the nerves of my feet (holy ouch Batman!), I am FINALLY back at it!  


Slowly but surely, I am building back my speed and mileage. No matter how painful or difficult things became over the past 4 months, there was never a time when I thought I might not be able to run and train again.  I prayed, I talked to family and friends, I cried, I journaled, I went to ortho and PT appointments, I worked my tail off to recover… and I never once gave up. Deep down, I believed that I would get another chance to run Dopey and dedicate it to my uncle.  I have booked my resort and secured my spot with Kellsie’s Krew again so it looks like my redemption Dopey is happening for January 2024 and I am now well on my way to my next adventure!  

Live simply, run swiftly, and dream big my friends!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment